Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cranky, but I liiike it!

As far as component acquisition, things seem to be falling into place now! Patience appears to be paying off.

I really wanted to put a double road crank instead of a triple on the Ramby. A few weeks ago, the only square taper Sugino crank I could find was a 46-36-24 triple. That's MTB or touring gearing, which is not what I want on my new road bike. I found one at JensonUSA, a 50-36 Sugino road double which unfortunately, wasn't in stock. However, Jenson has a neat feature which allows you to set an e-mail alert on an out-of-stock item.




I didn't expect much, but I held off on buying any drivetrain parts. I figured Sugino had probably stopped producing them, focusing on the MTB/touring market and triple cranks. I read a bit about the Sugino company, a small outfit in Japan with approximately 25 employees. They are obviously in a niche market, as it seems square taper cranks are being rapidly replaced with ISIS, Octalink, and now outboard bearing cranks. At least that's what I'm seeing on many of the new bikes in bike shops and sporting goods stores.

But the e-mail alert arrived last night! I immediately ordered one crank, found a smokin' deal on a 9 speed Dura-Ace front derailleur, and grabbed a 110mm 39t chainring as well.
Also, my Lickbike wheel parts arrived! I'll be picking those up tonight.

No comments: