Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spock Sings!

I am not a Trekkie!

OK, so I own the original Star Trek boxed DVD set, and I've watched all those original episodes at least 100 times. There's just something about the 'campyness' of that entire series that intrigues me.

A couple of years ago, I was listening to online radio... icebergradio.com to be precise. They had a novelty genre, a.k.a. extremely bad music. I listened to stuff like 'MacArthur Park' and Dolly Parton singing 'Stairway To Heaven', various William Shatner songs and recitations...and Leonard Nimoy singing 'Proud Mary'. It was gawd awful.

It's funny how these random bits pop into your head. Some bitter, bitter dregs of work sparked memories of a Spock ballad which was belted out in an early Star Trek episode (Plato's Stepchildren).

Here are the lyrics for "Maiden Wine"

Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.
Ahh-ah-ah-ah, bitter dregs.
With smiling words and tender touch,
Man offers little and asks for so much.
He loves in the breathless excitement of night,
Then leaves with your treasure in cold morning light.
Ahh-ah-ah-ah, in cold morning light.

While this ditty was playing in my head, I stumbled upon this website:
http://www.maidenwine.com/home.html

Yes, the musical touch of Leonard Nimoy. This provided hours of entertainment, especially viewing what must be the world's worst video...the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. Amazingly awful.

Live long and prosper, Spock...but please forget the music :>)

-D

2 comments:

Travel Gravel said...

I passed your Carlinisms around work for a few laughs, but I think I will leave this one alone. I haven't ridden a bike for two weeks, I need sunshine!!!! Later!

djdau@walnutel.net said...

Oh well, not everyone appreciates fine musical artistry :>)

This weekend will be my-t-fine for riding! Time to get out and go, go, go!