Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What Sheldon taught me

I was looking at my Cyclofiend calendar, and noticed that April 1st was "Sheldon Brown Memorial Ride Day".

For those of you who don't know, the late great Sheldon Brown was an expert on everything bicycle. He was quite active on the Harris Cyclery website and published tons of useful and helpful information. I built my first set of wheels using that website information. I never knew Sheldon personally, but he gave me some very good advice via a mailing list. I had just purchased my Quickbeam and was riding fixed gear for the very first time. It was great, except I had some issues keeping my feet on the pedals. Sheldon 'SPD' Brown suggested clipping in, and it was exactly the right thing to do.

If you notice, I have Sheldon's website bookmarked on this blog and I continue to utilize it regularly. His teachings, and his legacy, live on.

Thanks Sheldon! :>)

-D

No comments: