Monday, June 29, 2009

Commuter Challenge

So far, so good with the Activate Omaha Bicycle Commuter Challenge.

Since May 16th I have 15 trips logged, for a total of 405 miles. I've been trying to get at least two days a week in, three when I can squeeze it in.

An advantage to signing up for this program: my employer provides 'full size' lockers in our fitness center for commuter challenge participants. I can load up with clothes for the week, drive in on Monday to swap dirty for clean, and I'm ready for the remainder of the week. I don't have to haul clothes in the Carradice bag, which means I can ride other bikes not set up with my bag mount. The Schwinns have been getting a good workout lately...I've been riding the Tempo and the LeTour into work. I think I even rode Juicy in one day.

Riding in warmer weather has other advantages besides not freezing your hands, face, feet, and nuts off. No layers of clothes to wear, just put on the cycling shorts and a t-shirt. Less to wear, carry, or pack, thus less to hassle with. No ice or snow to slip, slide, and crash on. The trips seem to go faster. Fewer strange looks and comments from fellow employees: "You rode your bike today? It's February and it's below freezing!" More comments like "It's 90 degrees out and you rode your bike?" So I drink extra water on those days. And we have a fitness center with showers! :>)

Yeah, you don't know what you're missing.

-D

No comments: