Monday, June 15, 2009

Gone over to the other side

The posts have been a bit scarce, as of late.

I have a lot to blog about, but time has been short.  Lots going on at work, great weather for biking, and so on.  I like to get as much time in the saddle as I can.  RAGBRAI is coming up, and I'm trying to ride to work as much as possible for our Commuter Challenge at work.  

Oh, and I've gone over to the other side.  Let me explain this statement.

For years and years and years, I've been a PC guy.  Since the budding days of DOS, 8 inch floppy drives, 5.25" 256K floppies (dual sided!) the magical IBM PC with the 10mb hard drive, the Intel 286, 386, 486 processor series, I could go on but I'd sound extra nerdy.  

My gosh, I've even programmed Fortran with 80 column punch cards!  Punched on an NCR machine!

You know where I'm going with this, don't you?  Yes, I purchased a Mac Mini and I'm writing this blog post on it.   I've owned several iPods, and I've always liked them.  And my slow, aging, leftover, patched together, homebuilt (yes, I put this stuff together myself!) archaic PC equipment just wasn't cutting it anymore.  

I've just powered up this evening, and I was up and running in no time.  So far, so good.  I still have three PC's at home, one desktop running XP (the one I'm replacing), one desktop running Windows 98 (once I get my data off this one it's retired), and an old boat anchor Toshiba Satellite laptop.  The laptop will be next to go, if it doesn't crap out first.  I'm waiting to see what Windows 7 has to offer...maybe I'll go PC  with a laptop 'cause it's gobs cheaper.  

Definitely doing the dual OS on this machine.  I purchased VM Ware so I can run Windows XP concurrently with Mac OS X.   Should be xtra cool!

-Mac D :>)

No comments: