Friday, June 26, 2009

Squeaks and Creaks

Rode the LeTour to work this morning.

As I was tooling down the Lake Manawa trail, I noticed a squeak while I was pedaling. When I stopped pedaling, the squeak went away.

Of course, when you hear a noise while biking, you immediately begin to diagnose the problem. Where the heck is that noise coming from? Seat? Handlebars? Bottom bracket? Hitchhiker mouse?

On the ride home, the noise seemed even louder. Okay, now I'm going to have to figure this out. I threw the bike up on the stand and started cranking. I immediately ruled out the bottom bracket, the sound definitely wasn't coming from that area. It sounded like it was coming from the rear derailleur, so I immediately assumed jockey wheels.

So the derailleur came off, the jockey wheels came apart. Into the sink they went, with a bit of degreaser to clean them up. I greased the bushings and shafts, smeared a bit of grease around the perimeter of the wheel and put the whole mess back together. During this process I noticed the cable ferrule into the derailleur was broken and I just happened to have one in my random pile of bike parts. Replaced, cleaned up, reassembled and back on the bike. I cranked the pedals.

Squeak squeak damn! (Bike, Bike, me)

Okay, where is this noise coming from? I spent the last hour or so fiddling with this thing, and I was sure it was coming from the rear derailleur. I know I lubed the freewheel, but it only squeaked when I pedaled, not during coasting. I grabbed the chain and flexed it.

Squeak! Drier than a popcorn fart.

I lubed the chain thoroughly. After two good squirts of Pedro's Dry Lube, the squeaking magically disappeared.

Note to self: check the most obvious stuff first. D'oh!

-D

No comments: