Saturday, December 27, 2008

Getting up to speed, slowly

After returning from a well deserved holiday vacation, I figured it was time to resume my Soma build. I want to build my wheels up, the hubs and rims are in my basement...but the spokes and nipples are in some bicycle parts warehouse, somewhere.

Of course it's time to purchase a few more bike parts!

Might as well grab some drivetrain components while I'm at it. So, I picked up the following from JensonUSA:

SRAM POWERGLIDE PG-970 9SP CASSETTE 11-34T
SRAM X.7 TRIGGER SHIFTERS '07 Speed Silver
SRAM X.7 REAR DERAILLEUR Long Cage
SRAM X.7 DUALPULL FRONT DERAILLEUR 07 Black, High Clamp, 28.6/31.8/34.9
DT SWISS COMP. 2.0/1.8 SPOKES - BLACK 291mm, Box Of 72 (including spoke nipples)
WELLGO WPD-823 CLIPLESS MOUNTAIN PEDALS Silver, 9/16", Aluminium

This should be the last major component purchase. All I have left now are odds and ends, maybe a brake or shifter cable, etc, etc. Otherwise, this last shipment should spur a flurry of building. In the meantime, I might blog a bit about spoke length calculations...so stay tuned!

I picked up the Wellgo pedals because they were about 50% cheaper than Shimano SPD's, and they're supposed to be compatible. All my cycling shoes have SPD cleats. Seems like a good deal, but we'll see how well they work.

Ride report: None. The weather has been cold and extra crappy, and I really need to get out and ride. I think it's cabin fever, coupled with the fact that I've had a nasty cold that's been lingering the last couple of weeks. A good spin on the bike should burn that sucker right out of me. Right now, I've resigned myself to the home treadmill and work gym attempting to maintain a decent level of fitness through the holidays. Maybe I shouldn't have drank all that beer at my in-laws, but I certainly couldn't pass it up! Beer is a food!

I have some New Years resolutions and goals that I'll share with you as that milestone comes near. In the meantime, have a safe and happy holiday!

-Dwight

No comments: