Sunday, December 28, 2008

Poetry Pays Off!

I'm pretty excited today.

I'd actually forgotten about it, until I received an e-mail from Rivendell today. There has been an ongoing contest published in the Rivendell Reader, where readers are challenged to rewrite chosen verses of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. The catch is, you must rewrite the poem without using the letter 'e' anywhere in the text, except for the proper noun "Lenore".

The winner would receive a $100 credit toward merchandise purchased from Rivendell Bicycle Works. I believe there were three runner up spots as well, each receiving $20 or so each.

So I open my e-mail today, and I see the following...

From: Grant [mailto:grant@rivbike.com]Sent: Fri 12/26/2008 6:41 PM
To: Dau, Dwight
Subject: Rivendell Raven contest

Hi Dwight,Well done! You've won the Raven contest, and $100 of credit, as shown below. Your e-less verse will be printed in Reader #41. I really liked the line "dark maw scary" and the smooth use of the word "thusly."
Nice job,
Katie
Rivendell Bicycle Works

Yahoo! Not only is my poetry going to be published, but I get a nice prize as well. I'm going to purchase a Nigel Smythe seat bag. It will look great on my Rambouillet!


Here's the original Poe Raven verse:

Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, Lenore?,
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word,"Lenore!"
Merely this, and nothing more.

Now, the improved e-less (excluding "Lenore", of course) Dau Raven version:

Far into that dark maw scary, long I stood fast, wanting, wary,
Doubting, drooling mortal drool upon my bathroom floor;
But thusly hush was nigh unstopping, and a dark night’s slow hint dropping,
And a singular word said “Shh! Lenore?”
This through my lips, a murmur backward, “Lenore!”
Just a word, without a roar.

It's not that I haven't ever been published. I had a couple of poems published on the Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen website http://homerhilsen.com/, or per Cyclofiend http://www.ahomerhilsen.com/. You can look but unfortunately that site seems to be under construction. I don't recall saving any of my Hilsen poems, so they may well be lost forever.

Thanks to GP and company for conducting the Raven contest, and giving us regular old manly men a chance to practice our poetic chops! And also, I thank RBW very much for the $100 prize.

-Dwight :>))

4 comments:

Travel Gravel said...

No fair! Anyone who went to ISU knows volumes about ravens! Swarms of them leaving campus every morning, and returning each evening. There was a steam tunnel somewhere over by one of my PE classes, on the East side of campus, that was caked with droppings. But enough about crap, good job!

djdau@walnutel.net said...

Thanks! Since it's been such a long time, I really don't remember noticing lots of birds on campus...too busy ogling sexy coeds, I guess :>)

I read your latest blog entry, and I understand you are going under the knife. Get well quickly and get back on the bike as soon as you can!

farmgirl said...

Been meaning to visit your blog for a while. Congrats on the poetry victory! I can't believe that you didn't buy something for your lovely wife with the prize credit!

djdau@walnutel.net said...

Of course I picked up several nice Rivendell items for my perfectly lovely wife! I purchased a wool beanie (to keep her head warm), some lip-ivo (soft lips) and a bar of pine tar soap (nice, soft skin). She really loves that pine tar soap! :>))